It’s been six months since my last marathon, here are some things that I have learned, realized or that have hit me;
- Body glide, apply liberally, even on feet.
- You need to eat (and the right things) to fuel your body in order for it to run at its optimum level.
- Chi-running helps my perceived effort level.
- 28 pounds has been hard to loose, but if you work at it (and follow the weight watchers plan), it really isn’t that hard.
- Eating right takes a lot of planning.
- Eating right doesn’t cost more, I’ve only been out to fast food a few times in the past 5 months – it has really cut down on my needless spending on crappy food.
- Run with friends, you really have more fun and the miles fly by.
- Try new things on short runs – don’t try something new the week before a race or the day of – go with what you know.
- Sign up for a lot of runs, it gives you something to train for and look forward to.
- Include your family in your run/weight loss path, they want to help and you may encourage one of them to take the leap!
- Take time for family, but also get those early morning runs in – I am working on this!
- Teach, encourage others to follow their passions – I don’t know how many people are amazed that I am running a marathon, when in reality is has been fairly easy, you just have to start, and keep running, a little bit at a time and some weekends a lot at a time.
- My face looks smaller, my rings are too big and I have to buy third belt this year – not to mention buying smaller underwear, clothes, and replacing virtually everything in my closet (goodwill has been getting great donations from me this year – yes, I’m getting rid of the clothes as I shrink out of them, I don’t need them hanging around – except of course the one pair of fat jeans for my before and after). I’m even running out of ‘skinny’ clothes in the closet! Not to mention my running wardrobe is getting slim – I guess I should get some new running clothes in Portland also.
- Take naps after a long run, it’s ok to rest.
- Enjoy time with friends, watch them grow (I can’t wait to meet the little boy Elinor), Brandon is in kindergarten and Abby is counting to ten! They amaze me every time I see them; I need to see them more.
- I thought I would lose all of my weight before the end of the year, but slow and steady is how it is going to be, after all, the slower the better, and besides, it’s gone for good, not ‘lost’.
- Enjoy the journey – thanks for the reminder Michelle.
- Take a minute and enjoy how far you’ve come, it’s OK to pat yourself on the back once in a while!
Run, macha, run! Portland here I come!!